Reads: Leigh Bardugo's Shadow and Bone

March 6, 2021



I’m not sure if it’s just the high of finally finishing a book after years of reading nothing but fan fiction. Believe me, shame doesn’t even begin to scratch the surface of how I feel when I think of the time I spent away from books. But, I loved this story - a definite binge read. 


I’ll begin at the beginning: when I heard Ben Barnes was going to star in a Netflix adaptation of this series, my interest was peaked. I bought the book and I just have to share how difficult it was to find a copy without that obnoxious “Coming to Netflix” stamp on the cover. Really, that’s all I knew about the series - Ben Barnes and Netflix. I haven’t watched the trailer or researched the plot because I wanted to shape my own characters and landscapes first. And I'm sure having no prior knowledge or expectations of this story made it that much more enjoyable.


The world of the story is that of a fantastical Russia where the Grisha manipulate magic and science in their respected colored kefta. And a king rules a land shadowed by a dread that hinges on encompassing darkness. The protagonist, meek and uncertain when we meet her, comes to relinquish her self-doubt and fear and learns to accept who she is and what she can do. I’m being vague in my summary but your in for an adventure and an ending that will leave you thirsting for more.


Speaking of thirst, let’s talk about the Darkling - a powerful, gorgeous and mysterious Grisha. Who I would want to make my villain any day. 


‘“What?” I was finding it hard to concentrate. The Darkling’s thumb was still moving back and forth, tracing the length of the scar on my palm.”

Honestly, why cast Ben Barnes as the Darkling knowing the nature of this character if not to have more people fall in love and question their own moral sense? 


Anyways, thanks for reading my what is really just initial messy and exciting feelings. I’ve mentioned how long it’s been since I read, well it's been longer since I’ve written. So here’s to reading and writing more because it’s been too damn long.


Post a Comment

© Vanessa in Outer Space . Design by FCD.